Monday 20 May 2019

Advanced Fighting Fantasy: Turn to 1

I am a massive fan of Fighting Fantasy. The Warlock of Firetop Mountain was my entry point into adventure gaming, Titan was the first 'world book' I ever read, and I could (and do) spend hours poring over the monsters in Out of the Pit. Fighting Fantasy: The Introductory Roleplaying Game *might* have been (probably was) the first RPG I ever ran, and I picked up the original version of Advanced Fighting Fantasy at the same time I was playing Mentzer D&D and getting into, among other things, WFRP. 

If you search this blog, you'll find all too many entries on Fighting Fantasy - playthroughs of the gamebooks, discussions of how Titan has inspired/coloured my gaming, house rules for AFF2e (including my little 'supplement' Viscera!), and pages and pages of actual play reports.

But AFF doesn't get enough love, as far as I can see, so consider this the beginning of an Advanced Fighting Fantasy love-in. I'm going spend the next few posts reviewing the Advanced Fighting Fantasy books - obviously from the perspective of a (critical) fan. *And* I will start running a new campaign of AFF soon, too.

May your STAMINA never fail, but if it does Test Your LUCK!

First up (probably in multiple parts, as this will involve discussion of and reflection on game mechanics): the AFF2e core rulebook.

4 comments:

  1. Wooo! I'm also looking forward to it. And I agree it doesn't get enough love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wholeheartedly agree on the "lack of high profile" issue.
    Which is why, if the gods are kind, I intend to run an AFF game next February at the Dudley Bug Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading more on this. I find the advanced game to be a bit too "advanced" though I can't claim to have fine tuned a better way if character advancement are to be had - mechanically, yet.
    The system is sound, though, and I am going to love reading your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete