Monday, 16 September 2013

A Grog Goes Wrong...


Well, it was such a bargain.

The latest 'Bundle of Holding' is a collection of FATE games. Not my kind of games, you say? Well, you'd be right, FATE isn't really my bag, but I did want to check out Starblazer Adventures. I haven't had time to read all 600+ pages yet - don't hold your breath on a review, either - but there's a lot in there I quite like, and, predictably, quite a bit that I don't. I could actually see myself using Starblazer Adventures for a one-shot or two, but would most likely default to a 'simulationist' game such as Traveller for a 'proper' campaign. But for $15, or just less than a tenner in real money, you get Starblazer Adventures and  a bunch of other FATE based games, and a slice of that money goes to War Child International and the Somaly Mam Foundation.

It is hard to take a picture of a .pdf file (I've not got the ink for a 600+ page book at the moment). So here's a photo of some source material resting on something or other.

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to us trying a SF RPG. For added SFishness I'll likely be in Oxford and playing via Facetime. The future is now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davey, you need to recover the Crown of Kings (or die trying) first!

      Delete
  2. I checked out the Starblazers folks fantasy games Legends of Anglerre. I definitely thought it had some nice touches, but in the end I've never been a huge fan of FATE (it's the aspects I don't like, and the aspects are the core of FATE). I actually love FATE's parent game FUDGE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about the differences to comment, but I will likely write something, sooner or later, on the things that I like and dislike in what I read in (*play* is a different matter) Starblazer Adventures (and, perhaps, other FATE games, by extension).

      Delete