Monday 30 June 2014

Oh, damn you Devlan Mud!


Enjoying painting at 15mm has improved my 25/28mm technique. As I chug my way through the Saxons, I've started reading the Oldhammer blogs a lot more regularly. And I can't escape the whispers of the old lead scattered all over the house, hidden in a box in bubblewrap here, in a storage case there, soaking in Dettol... where? So, beguiled by the faint cries of 'yo ho ho', 'avast!' and 'aaarh!', I cracked open a box and dragged out of shore-party of Long Drong's Pirate Slayers. Not sure what I'll use these for. Singly based minis for Songs of Blades and Heroes? A Warband/Shooter unit for HotTHammer? Anyway, this post isn't about that.

When, a few years ago, I painted my first miniature after a gap of umpteen years, my disposable income gave me access to a far wider range of paints than I ever did back in the day. And I could buy inks, and washes, and all kinds of other stuff. And proper brushes! But the washes were a great help to a [re-]learning painter. A good wash, typically of Devlan Mud, added depth, a bit of 'realistic' grime, and, at times, covered mistakes. But it has got to the point where I think that Devlan Mud, and my other favourite, Ogryn Flesh, are concealing, rather than enhancing my painting. What do you think?  

This is a Pirate Slayer I have nearly finished. I haven't used any washes on this guy.



This is the Slayer I finished the day before. While I like his polka dot bandana, the Ogryn Flesh wask on the skin, the red wash on the beard, and the Devlan Mud on the guns and scabbards and the rest have really flattened the miniature. Where, in the past, slapping a wash on was my final stage, looking at this guy I feel I have to set the brush to him again.



Or, of course, the problem could be that after staring at little Dwarf Pirates for a few hours you lose your sense of perspective... Which do you prefer, snazzy headscarf notwithstanding?

7 comments:

  1. The top one is better for 'show' but it's important to paint to an agenda. If you need minis on the table for a game then 90% of them probably need to be painted like the bottom one. Save your time for the personalities I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is the bottom one did look like the top one... until I decided to add a finishing touch of Ogryn Flesh and Devlan Mud.

      Delete
    2. It's tough to comment on a model you haven't seen in the flesh (so to speak) but I have had models look like they have gone backwards after a wash. You might need to do less work before the wash and add some highlights afterwards or leave it off altogether. Devlan Mud or Agrax Earthshade as it is now is supposed to be a labour saving aid in the long run. They both look nice by the way, just that the brighter one pops a bit more. I am a fan of the dirty look but it is nice to have some eye-catching highlights on a mini.

      Delete
    3. Cheers. Trying to photograph miniatures has made clear to me just how much a camera can 'lie'. I'll take comfort in that the next time a family photo leaves me looking Shrek-like.

      Delete
  2. For me, the wash isn't the final, it's the 'mid' point. Usually it's base coat, first highlight, wash, and another highlight or two and a wash if necessary again to smooth things out. Now an ink or a glaze on the other hand, may be the 'final' stage just to add depth/warmth/color to whatever I'm hitting but shading as a last step? Usually not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, perhaps I should have pointed out that I absolutely do not know what I am doing ;-)

      During my first spell of painting minis I had a handful of colours, no inks or washes, and cheap brushes probably several sizes too large. I did my best, but it certainly was just applying colour in the right general areas. When I recovered all my old gaming stuff a few years ago and decided to give it another go I did read a bit of advice, but then jumped straight in and experimented. I was put off by the 'Golden Demon' standard painting advice as I thought that was far beyond me and I didn't have weeks to spend on a miniature anyway. And the unit-level painting advice was (at that time) geared around painting up whole 30-model units in an evening, which is at the other end of the scale! Also, I'm arrogant and impatient, so I just jumped straight in.

      I have one more undercoated Slayer Pirate, so I'll apply the washes after 'blocking out' the colours and then work up the highlights. Then I'll have three to compare.

      Delete
  3. I've been finding it's worthwhile to do something to mini's post wash. I like the depth it gives without blending (which I can't seem to figure out yet), but it does go a bit muddy if you don't highlight again (I usually do so with the base color again).

    ReplyDelete