Friday 25 January 2019

The Grog Pod


Found in my 'Draft' folder - this is probably about two years old:

"For the past few months I've been 'commuting' by train or car between my new home in Yorkshire and Cardiff, where I work. Until next week, at least...

Anyway, the long drives have given me the opportunity to listen to a few podcasts, something that I hadn't really done before. One that I've found particularly fun has been The Grognard Files,"

And that is where I left it. At that comma. I obviously wanted to say something more, something about how much I have enjoyed listening to The Grognard Files. And the instinct is just as true now. In fact, it is more true - while early Grog Pods were a nostalgic exploration of the UK gaming scene of the 1980s, of late the Grogs have been exploring newer games, including some with quite different design philosophies to (A)D&D, Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller etc. from 'back in the day'. I really need to get round to listening to their take on Heroquest (the RPG rather than the MB/GW boardgame), as it is just the kind of more narrative-y (that's not exactly what *I* mean, but it is the best word I can come up with right now) game that I'd like to wrap my head around - alongside games such as Fate and PDQ - especially as I went out and bought myself Heroquest: Glorantha and the 2-part Red Cow campaign. Hearing old grogs like Dirk getting to grips with a system like Heroquest might help me, just a little bit.

So I recommend a listen. But you've probably all already subscribed - when I started the draft I've just found The Grognard Files was a few podcasts old. I might have known about something before you did! But now, with 26 episodes (assuming this doesn't linger in my 'Draft' folder for another year or two), a successful convention, a 'zine, they hardly need a boost from a slowly re-animating blog.

Nevertheless - I raise my hat in appreciation.   

6 comments:

  1. I found the Grog pod about a year ago, it’s one of the few podcasts that I enjoy listening to an episode more than once. There’s something about Dirk and Blithey that I find immensely comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like their tastes (and gaming history) run pretty parallel to mine.

      Delete
  2. Yorkshire eh? I live in Wensleydale and go down to Cardiff and Swansea for work at least 12 times a year or so. It is a long, long way. I normally listen to audiobooks, but i will have to check out the podcasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wensleydale, eh? If Wensleydale RUFC keep up their good form, they'll be promoted into Yorkshire 2 next season. And if my body continues to hold out, that'll mean, selection permitting, I'll be playing up that way sometime next winter.

      Delete
    2. My son is now playing in their Under 9's, and i was due to do the first stage coaching course a week ago but it was postponed due to the snow! Let me know if you do get up this way and we can meet up for a beer.

      Delete
    3. Will do - cheer Wensleydale 1st XV on to the title and I'll see you after the game one Saturday next season.

      Delete